Wednesday, October 16, 2013

My friends are 30

It's happening.  30 is happening.  Not for me!  Yet.  Haha, but my friends are slowly but surely crossing into their third decade.  Last week two of my closest friends, Tyler and Kevin, turned 30.  The three of us have been through a lot together and I wanted to do something special for them.  So, what's more special than inviting them over for a home-cooked meal?  They are both single dudes living alone so lord knows what the eat every night.

Tyler & Kevin


I made Smitten Kitchen's mini meatloaves with a tomato glaze and brown butter mashed potatoes with a side of plain ol' broccoli.  The recipes are in her cookbook, which is my favorite.  For dessert, apple cake!  Also from her cookbook.



Looks perfect, right?  Unfortunately, it wasn't.  I've had the worst luck with my apple desserts this season.  I made a sub bar apple crisp, now this!  One of the issues was I ran out of vegetable oil so I had to supplement with extra virgin olive oil. Also, I think when using a non-stick pan I should decresase the cooking time.  Basically, this cake was too dry to enjoy.  I'd definitely try it again because I refuse to believe that Smitten Kitchen would steer me wrong! 

Aside from the cake it was a banner night that I can't wait to do again...  They'll be 40 before I know it!  Ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment