I love music but I don't have an insert for my iPod in my car, I'm not fond of trying to find radio stations and I get tired of the few CDs I have. So, in the past year I've been getting into podcasts. I suppose my love of talk radio started with Terry Gross and Fresh Air but here are a few of my other favorites.
This was the first podcast I started listening to and now I'm a regular. It's basically an advice column. People call in with questions about love, sex, relationships, etc. and Dan Savage answers. He's funny, articulate, thoughtful and open-minded. He's changed my life, honestly. My perceptions about relationships, monogamy, bi-sexuality, transgenders and more have been challenged and I've learned so much. I really think that everyone should listen to this.
Serial
This is a new podcast and I'm obsessed. A true story unfolds week by week. The first season is about a murder that took place in Baltimore, back in 1999. A high school senior was strangled and her ex-boyfriend was found guilty and was sentenced to life in prison. The way it unfolds reminds me of the documentary, Staircase. I flip back and forth. He did it! He's definitely innocent. He's guilty! There's no way! It's riveting, well told and juicy. I've listened to each episode twice through already. It's so good.
The Dinner Party Download
This is a nice, fluffy podcast that I tend to listen to on long walks. The podcast is played out like so.
Icebreaker - joke
History Lesson - something that happened around that date is history
Cocktails - a drink to accompany the history lesson
Playlists - music for the dinner party
Guest of Honor - special guest celebrity, writer, actor, etc.
Etiquette - questions answered usually by said guest of honor
Dinner time - some food related content like an emerging food trend
Anyway, I enjoy the tidbits of unconventional news and culture which provide excellent (you guessed it!) dinner party conversation starters.
And a few more that I listen to:
The Moth
Death, Sex & Money
What are your favorites? I'd love a recommendation!
![]() |
| Dan Savage (on the right) with his husband, Terry. |
This is a new podcast and I'm obsessed. A true story unfolds week by week. The first season is about a murder that took place in Baltimore, back in 1999. A high school senior was strangled and her ex-boyfriend was found guilty and was sentenced to life in prison. The way it unfolds reminds me of the documentary, Staircase. I flip back and forth. He did it! He's definitely innocent. He's guilty! There's no way! It's riveting, well told and juicy. I've listened to each episode twice through already. It's so good.
The Dinner Party Download
This is a nice, fluffy podcast that I tend to listen to on long walks. The podcast is played out like so.
Icebreaker - joke
History Lesson - something that happened around that date is history
Cocktails - a drink to accompany the history lesson
Playlists - music for the dinner party
Guest of Honor - special guest celebrity, writer, actor, etc.
Etiquette - questions answered usually by said guest of honor
Dinner time - some food related content like an emerging food trend
Anyway, I enjoy the tidbits of unconventional news and culture which provide excellent (you guessed it!) dinner party conversation starters.
![]() |
| Kevin Spacey was a guest on the show. |
And a few more that I listen to:
The Moth
Death, Sex & Money
What are your favorites? I'd love a recommendation!



No comments:
Post a Comment